Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 26 Oct 2001 01:03:32 -0700

"Michael G. Schneider" <mgs_at_mgs-software.de> wrote in message news:<9r9r2k$6v9$02$1_at_news.t-online.com>...
> Sorry, I do not know you. I certainly don't want to offend you. But have you
> ever developed software? Do you have a formal education in developing
> software?

Some people has something which is called work experience. My opininon is that work experiences are much more valuable than formal education in developing software. Sorry, but I have seen a lot of people with "formal education" and some of them were quite unusable.

> are tasks which a good software developer will know how to handle. And it is
> HIS task to do such things. I would NEVER allow a DBA to modify the SQL that
> creates the objects in the database (tables, triggers, views, stored
> procedures, ...). For example primary keys and constraints are a direct
> result of my discussion with the future users of my software. These items
> are specified in the Requirement Specification, and they are part of the
> Data Model for the future database. No DBA is involved in this area.

To be honest I must admit that I'm very happy not to have you in my staff. One of the biggest problems in the RDMBS implementation are developers who thinks that they know everything and DBA is just some strange guy whos responsibilities are only to look if server is running and some free space is available. If we had a capable DBA taking part in one project, I would not be writing a report to our top management about things that messed up right now.
I can imagine a better task than reporting someone else failures to superiors.
This project was ran by developers who thinks that they can place an index in right fashion.
However things like BIND variables and optimalisation using statistics acquired from productional database were terra incognita. :-(

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.