Oracle intermedia and geographic images

From: tweekie <None>
Date: 25 Oct 2001 10:48:55 -0500

Hi

Does anyone have any experience with using Oracle interMedia to store tiled geographic imagery (scanned maps, aerial photos, etc) ? I guess the areas I am concerned with are

  1. utilities to load a set of tiled separate images into a single row, ORDimage object ? if i've got a set of scanned maps, they are usually tiled with a dimension that is also expressed in some real world coordinate system
  2. subsequent retrieval of that image data based on that real world coordinate system. I've put them into a single object and now I just want to retrieve portions of the image, based on either pixel or the implied realworld coordinate system

The problems are obviously different from using interMedia to store a set of say, thumbnailed images of a on-line shop's products. In that case, each image is logically discrete and therefore has its own row in the database. Typically, when someone wants to view it, they want to view the whole thing. In this case, I have n images which are physically discrete when I receive them but logically, they are continuous and therefore that is how I would like to store them in the database.

Has anyone used interMedia to store and manage geographic data ? How does it resolve those issues ?

Thanks