Re: start the Oracle

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 16:30:27 +0100

"Niedzwiedz" <niedzwie_at_pertus.com.pl> wrote in message news:9r98j0$81c$1_at_news.tpi.pl...
> Hi, I have a problem with starting my Oracle DB in Linux.
> I presume, I need to log on as a user who was installing Oracle. I put
that
> entry in my startup script :
> su -c ./start oracle //since oracle is that user's name
> In start file I have :
> ./dbstart
> ./lsnrctl start
>
> It starts dbstart - it finishes without any errors, but I cannot start my
> listening deamons. It says :
> Message 1070 not found; No message file for product=network,
> facility=TNSTNS-12545: Message 12545 .... and so on.
> What's wrong here.
> When I log on as oracle, and starts it manually, it works fine.
> Thank you for any advice in advance.
> Niedzwiedz

The error messages are helpfully detailed in the Oracle documentation. This is also available at http://tahiti.oracle.com complete with a searchable web form. On unix you can also issue oerr <error number> to get the associated error message.

In your case you get

12545 Connect failed because target host or object does not exist.

I suggest you check your listener configuration carefully to see if the host name/ip addresses are correct.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA