Re: Current online redolog corrupt!!!

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 25 Oct 2001 06:18:35 -0700

"Sybrand Bakker" <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:<ttfnce1jcrpqf8_at_corp.supernews.com>...
> "À̱âÅÂ(Kitae Lee)" <kitaelee_at_itnc.co.kr> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > My DB lost current online redo log.
> >
> > If "startup" the DB, get message ORA-00333.
> >
> > My DB has three redo log groups.
> >
> > That redo log is not mirred.
> >
> > My system is running in Archive Mode.
> >
> > But, I have any cold backups.
> >
> > What can I do?
> >
> > Help me.
> >

> If you have cold backups and have the archive logs you can recover
> If you have hot backups and have the archive logs you can recover
> If you don't have any backup and also don't have any export, this will be
> the end of your database.
>

> Regards
>
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA
>
> Then you are SOL

Kitae, a 333 is an IO error so it is not necessarily lost. Is the redo log file system mounted? If not you can mount it and everything should be fine. If the disk/file system is fine but Oracle cannot read the file then if you have support I suggest that you open an iTAR and get guidence on how to proceed.

There is a command available to clear the online redo logs with 8.1 but I cannot remember the limitations for using the command though I don't think it is available for use on the current log file. You can see the Backup and Recovery manual to check into this.

Your note is unclear on the status of backups but Sybrand clearly stated that you can perform a point in time recovery through the time/scn of your last archived log if you have either hot or cold backups to apply the archived redo logs to. And as a last resort you can rebuild/repopulate your db with a full export file if you have that.

Good luck.