Re: Which OS is better Win2k or Linux to learn Oracle?

From: Trifon Anguelov <trifona_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 06:34:23 GMT

"Helaman" <zoraster_at_REMOVEprontomail.com> wrote in message news:isnettcaauscdisam8b40rk33ea6iv7vh7_at_4ax.com...
> As I type this message, I am downloading Mandrake Linux.
> I am using win2k at the moment. I will be installing Linux.
>
> I have Oracle 8i installed already on the win2k.
>
> My question is which is better to use as regards to the real
> world. I saw some posts that leaned to Unix or linux as the standard
> platform for running Oracle.
>
> What do businesses use to run Oracle?
>
> Helaman

Helaman,

Most common you will find Oracle on Solaris.

Get yourself Solaris 8 (Intel) and install Oracle on Solaris.

You might have troubles installing Oracle on Mandrake, better use SuSE 7.2.

Hope that helps.

Trifon Anguelov
Senior Oracle DBA

http://www.dbaclick.com Received on Thu Oct 25 2001 - 01:34:23 CDT