Re: Oracle as HTTP server?

From: Colin McKinnon <colin_at_EditMeOutUnlessYoureABot.wew.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 09:02:42 +0100

Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3BD5E405.1F98_at_yahoo.com...
> Joost Mulders wrote:
> > I have an 8.1.5 database with a bunch of mp3's in BLOBS. Is there an
easy way to give access to the files via HTTP for personal use, i.e. Oracle as a webserver?

"mpg123 "http://oracle_database_server/mp3file.mp3"

> > Is this possible?, where to start looking ?
> >
> > Thanks !
> >
> > Joost
>
> The easiest way would be to upgrade to 8.1.7 which gives you Apache and
> PL/SQL links into it.

ISR... if you have a webserver that supports scripting then you've just about got all you need - just create a cgi script to generate an SQL statement to pull the requested entry out to a file run it through SQL*PLUS and then serve that up. Of course if you want to use the syntax you've described you'll need to learn how to use mod-rewrite (or similar).

Not very scalable though.

A neater solution might be Perl + DBI + DBD::Oracle (I'm guessing there is a DBD::Oracle - I'd be surprised if there isn't one though).

...or you could try Apache+PHP. This can be a bit tricky to compile, particularly on commercial OS - so try to find a binary distribution from a reputable source. Or you could use odbc....or...

Good luck

Colin Received on Wed Oct 24 2001 - 03:02:42 CDT