Re: Data extraction using SQL....

From: Mark D Powell <mark.powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 24 Oct 2001 13:27:58 -0700

"Terry Dykstra" <dontreply_tdykstra_at_cfol.ab.ca> wrote in message news:<OpAB7.45674$Og4.5329488_at_news0.telusplanet.net>...
> select owner, table_name from all_tables will give you all the tables you
> have access to.
> You might want to try creating an export file. If you have Oracle 7 around,
> you should be able to import into that. I don't know if 8.x will read 6
> export files.
> --
> Terry Dykstra
> Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.
> "Colin Carpenter" <ccarpenter_at_colware.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've been given an interesting project to recover as much data from an old
> > HP-UX server running Oracle 6. I don't really have a great deal of
> > knowledge in this field so any help would be much appreciated. I can get
> > an SQL prompt and run SQL scripts but again my knowledge is limited. All
> > documentation for the database has been lost so I'm not even sure of the
> > table names. What I'd ideally like to do is list all the tables that are
> in
> > the database and then dump each one out to a file so that I can do
> something
> > with the data elsewhere - can this be done in SQL??
> >
> > Many thanks in advance,
> >
> > Colin.

Colin, you might want to consider using sqlplus to extract the data into delimited files and then using sqlldr to re-load it into a new instance. This will bypass version problems with imp/exp from ver 6 to 8.1.

This technique will work with char, varchar, number, and date data. It will not work with long columns or raw without some extra work and programming. you can find sql to generate your sql at the cooperative FAQ host by Jonathan Lewis at:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/flatfile.html

The article is "How do I export a database table to a flat file? To a comma or other character delimited file ?"