Re: error message installing 8i on HP-UX

From: Jeffrey M. Smith <jsmith_at_purdue.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 13:44:09 -0500

That can happen if someone mistakenly runs the installer while logged in as root. The installer notices that you're trying to install as root and aborts the session, but fails to remove the /tmp/OraInstall directory. Then, when you try to run the installer as user oracle, it fails because it doesn't have permission to write in the directory. Try

    ls -ld /tmp/OraInstall0

to see who owns the directory. If it's not owned by the oracle user, ask your system administrator to remove it.

Jeff