Re: Experience with 8.0.5 to 8.1.7 migration?

From: Terry Dykstra <dontreply_tdykstra_at_cfol.ab.ca>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 16:56:00 GMT

Actually, you don't even have a choice since 805 is not supported on W2K. So you must upgrade Oracle first.
I agree with Ron that W2K should be a separate step. It's a whole can of worms.

I've migrated 7 databases (using the data migration assistant) so far on NT4 and they worked fine. Make sure that you have lots of free space in the System tablespace.
I've had one migration fail on me. Somehow 817 is detecting a phantom datafile that once upon a time indeed existed in the 805 database. That datafile was deleted a long time ago. So it looks like I have a corrupt data dictionary.
Make sure that you check for BUG: 839342, corrupt dictionary objects. Metalink has more information about that.

--
Terry Dykstra
Canadian Forest Oil Ltd.