waiting for logins to complete.

From: Anthony Hogan <anon_at_spain.es>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 14:03:39 +0100

Hi all,
I'm running 8.1.7.0 SE on win 2000.
For our nightly cold backups I shut down the database using a batch program to call this script:

connect internal/oracle_at_database
alter database create standby controlfile as 'C:\oracle\oradata\nomina\xx' reuse;
alter system archive log current;
shutdown immediate
startup
shutdown
exit

It's been running fine for months but last night it hung on the second shutdown.

AlertLog <snip>
Shutting down instance (immediate)
License high water mark = 6
Mon Oct 22 23:01:14 2001
ALTER DATABASE CLOSE NORMAL
Mon Oct 22 23:01:14 2001
SMON: disabling tx recovery
SMON: disabling cache recovery
Mon Oct 22 23:01:16 2001
Thread 1 closed at log sequence 2251
Mon Oct 22 23:01:17 2001
Completed: ALTER DATABASE CLOSE NORMAL
Mon Oct 22 23:01:17 2001
ALTER DATABASE DISMOUNT
Completed: ALTER DATABASE DISMOUNT
archiving is disabled
Mon Oct 22 23:01:19 2001
ARCH shutting down
ARC0: Archival stopped
Starting up ORACLE RDBMS Version: 8.1.7.0.0.

Completed: alter database open
Shutting down instance (normal)
License high water mark = 2
Mon Oct 22 23:06:43 2001
SHUTDOWN: waiting for logins to complete.

I had to shutdown abort when I arrived this morning. When I opened the DB one of my index datafiles was offline.

I know there were no users trying to connect and I'm at a loss as to why the DB should hang.

Could anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance,
Anthony Hogan
hogananthony_at_hotmail.com Received on Tue Oct 23 2001 - 08:03:39 CDT