Re: Is it possible to rename an Oracle schema?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 05:36:16 +1000

Do you mean rename a database? Or rename a schema?

If its rename a database, then the procedures are similar to when you clone a database: basically, you blow away the control files and edit a control file trace script, and run that to re-create the control files with a new database name set within them. You also need to do some poking around in the init.ora (see the tip on cloning a database at the site below if you're interested).

If you mean rename a schema -so that scott.emp becomes mary.emp, along with every other table scott owns- then no, there's no SQL command to do that. You can use export and import to do the deed (import with FROMUSER=Scott and TOUSER=Mary), but that would also require you to eventually drop user Scott cascade.

Regards
HJR

--
Resources for OracleT: www.geocities.com/howardjr2000