Re: Inactive Sessions Remain Open

From: Andreas Stephan <as.stedat_at_gmx.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 15:24:16 +0200

Hi Steven,

first change or insert a string in the sqlnet.ora on the server:

sqlnet.expire_time = 10

This will cause a "ping" of the connection all 10 minutes. If the client is dead the connection will be removed.

If you have to kill a spinning session, first kill the corresponding os process. Normally after some 10-20 minutes smon will clean up all sessions without os counterpart. If this didnīt work you can try to kill the session by hand. Please give smon some time to wake up and do his work. So if after another 10-20 minutes the session is still on the instance your only way to get rid of them is to bounce the instance (shutdown/reboot).

hth
Andy