Re: "Import succeded with warnings" and ERRORS!?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 09:46:47 +0100

PMFJI
"Rick Denoire" <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote in message news:i2f6ttkll6or95u2d745tqnv71cim08c59_at_4ax.com...
> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
<snip>
> >Well, I'm just going to have to say that you're using the wrong tool with
> >too little information. If you wan't an *exact* copy of a database (I
mean
> >a logical duplicate, but where file paths etc are allowed to change) then
> >you don't use import blind of the source like this, you use cloning
> >techniques.

<snip>
> I am wondering about an alternative way to make this clone.
> Transferring the datafiles (physical copy) is not feasible, due to
> their size (several GB).
> Would you be so kind to mention a few key words about cloning
> techniques? Then I would go for that.

Sadly cloning techniques involve exactly what you state isn't possible, namely the copying of datafiles.

Howard can no doubt point you at the appropriate techniques, but the key idea is to copy all the relevant files and then tell Oracle where they have been put and restart the DB. It is also possible to setup something called a standby database where you take a copy of the database at a point in time and then apply the transaction log from the source database to your copy. it sounds like this won't work in your setup either.

I would suggest that the export import route probably is the correct path for what you want to do. You will need to establish what the tablespace names are and precreate them but you should then be able to get import to work correctly.

HTH

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA