Standard procedure to prepare a DB for import?

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 12:06:33 +0200

Does anyone know how to do the following in order to prepare a DB to full import a dump file?

  1. Truncate all objects
  2. Disable triggers
  3. Drop all indexes

Then, after (hopefully) successfully importing the dump file:

  1. Remove all truncated objects that weren't existant in the dump (they are remained empty after the import)
  2. Enable triggers
  3. Rebuild indexes

All this without knowing anything particular to the target DB (all objects should be handled via generic sql scripts). This is because we are dealing with a kind of "black box" DB, where we are not supposed to know anything about internals of the DB.

If you can provide a reference to some document in the Internet containing this info, this would be even better for me. I could not find anything else than trivial procedures for doing the import, like specifying import options etc., but in general, such instructions are not enough. Import is prone to different kind problems that people usually can solve if they are acquainted with the DB they are dealing with - this is not the case here.

Thanks a lot!

Rick Received on Sun Oct 21 2001 - 05:06:33 CDT