Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Michael G. Schneider <mgs_at_mgs-software.de>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 22:07:24 +0200

"Mark Townsend" <markbtownsend_at_home.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:B7F5C9B0.3C65%markbtownsend_at_home.com...
> in article 9qpf4o$tb4$03$1_at_news.t-online.com, Michael G. Schneider at
> mgs_at_mgs-software.de wrote on 10/19/01 7:59 AM:
>
> > [6] One more piece of information, which I cannot interpret correctly.
When
> > connecting to the database, I will fail if I connect as "SYS" or
"SYSTEM"
> > with the "AS SYSDBA" option. The "AS SYSDBA" can only be used with
> > "INTERNAL". Does this give any hint or information to an expert Oracle
DBA?

> This is a symptom of you disabling the OS authentication in SQLNET.ORA.
All
> your problems stem back to some common root cause - and I'm absolutely
> convinced that there is an issue with your PDC - either it's not working
> correctly, has been changed half way during the install, or something
> similar.
>
> For instance, I have seen all your problems when a user on a network
(logged
> on under a given domain) has installed on a laptop. While on the network,
> everything works. When the user disconnects from the network, but still
logs
> on to the same domain all these problems occur. Logging on the the actual
> laptop domain solves the problem. Hopefully you can relate this back to
your
> own configuration for similarities.

Of course, one can never be sure. But this is a freshly installed Windows 2000 Server. And it has no obvious problems at all. Let me try to explain, what the SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICE is used for. Please correct me, where I am wrong.

The SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICE setting is used for describing the authentication schema. My original setting (as done by the SETUP) has been NTS, which means that the account of the logged on user plays a role in the authentication process. By clearing this value, I told Oracle not to use the currect user account. The complete information for authentication (name + password) would be sent in a connection attempt.

So if I perform a logon

and it does not work, I do not yet understand what my PDC and it's Directory has to do with this.

If I were connecting with the NTS setting without giving a password, then Oracle would have to "talk" to the PDC. Under this setting problems might arise, if the PDC is not working correctly.

Michael G. Schneider Received on Fri Oct 19 2001 - 15:07:24 CDT