Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 19:14:47 GMT

in article 9qpf4o$tb4$03$1_at_news.t-online.com, Michael G. Schneider at mgs_at_mgs-software.de wrote on 10/19/01 7:59 AM:

> [6] One more piece of information, which I cannot interpret correctly. When
> connecting to the database, I will fail if I connect as "SYS" or "SYSTEM"
> with the "AS SYSDBA" option. The "AS SYSDBA" can only be used with
> "INTERNAL". Does this give any hint or information to an expert Oracle DBA?

This is a symptom of you disabling the OS authentication in SQLNET.ORA. All your problems stem back to some common root cause - and I'm absolutely convinced that there is an issue with your PDC - either it's not working correctly, has been changed half way during the install, or something similar.

For instance, I have seen all your problems when a user on a network (logged on under a given domain) has installed on a laptop. While on the network, everything works. When the user disconnects from the network, but still logs on to the same domain all these problems occur. Logging on the the actual laptop domain solves the problem. Hopefully you can relate this back to your own configuration for similarities.

Anyhow, have a look at the new Oracle9i By Example series at http://otn.oracle.com/products/oracle9i/htdocs/9iobe/OBE9i-Public/

This series provides a step by step guide on how to install, configure and use just about every Oracle product. Received on Fri Oct 19 2001 - 14:14:47 CDT