Re: SYSTEM tablespace question

From: Manuela Mueller <520040906697-0001_at_t-online.de>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:28:59 +0200

"Tyszcenko, Robert A." wrote:

> I'm a junior DBA at a new site, and the current "DBA" created a new
> database recently. It appears that he took the default PCTINCREASE
> for the SYSTEM tablespace, which is 50. I always thought that 0 is
> the recommended PCTINCREASE.
>
> What, if any, problems are we likely to experience down the road. By
> the way, this will be a 10+ Terabyte data warehouse.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bob

Hello Bob,
you can't specify pctincrease for tablespace SYSTEM during a 'create database' statement
(AFAIK at least not in Oracle 8.1.6, 8.1.7). Take a look at:
http://otn.oracle.com/docs/products/oracle8i/doc_library/817_doc/server.817/a85397/statem5c.htm#2061235

I agree with the other posters, that any other tablespace except SYSTEM should have pctincrease 0
or locally managed tablespaces with 'uniform size'.

Regards
Manuela Mueller Received on Fri Oct 19 2001 - 08:28:59 CDT