Re: Oracle versus MS Sql Server

From: Michael G. Schneider <mgs_at_mgs-software.de>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 13:27:51 +0200

"Dusan Bolek" <pagesflames_at_usa.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1e8276d6.0110190221.3fe52350_at_posting.google.com...

> The problem is that you expect Oracle to change its software, because
> of Windows. However, Win NT is not very important platform for Oracle
> databases.

I hope the Windows version of Oracle changes. Not Oracle in general.

> The last
> thing that I want to encounter is unnecessary changes in interface
> just because some NT interface rule book says this window should has
> this feature.

I already explained this in another post in this thread. It's even the basics that are missing.

> Is more important to switch between OS platforms easily than
> accesibility of Oracle for strictly Windows users.

Not for me. But I do understand your point.

> And no one is complaining that
> SAP should has the same install process as MS Money. :-)

I am not comparing Oracle to MS Money. Regarding complexity I compare it to MS SQL Server or MS Exchange or MS Windows itsself.

> First do some
> learning (reading documentation, attend courses etc.) or use MS SQL,

I do use MS SQL Server. But some customers prefer Oracle.

> Sorry but is hard to imagine more simplier task than
> installation of Oracle on Windows NT. Enterpise database sollutions is
> not turn on, look around, start working type of software.

It's not a question of whether the software runs optimally, but whether the software runs at all after a standard installation. With my standard installation of Oracle 8.1.7 Enterprise I encountered the following hard problems. You all probably know anything about these. But for somebody like me, who is not installing Oracle on a regular basis, these are many hours of frustrating work:

[1] After having installed and the de-installed Oracle, the system is not in a clean state. There are a couple of LEGACY-keys in HKLM\System\CurrentControlsSet\Enum\Root, which prevent another installation. These keys have to be removed manually. This bug did not only happen on my system, it is described in the news groups archives several times.

[2] After having installed Oracle, the database works, but the Management Server won't start. It is due to the SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICE entry. Also this problem does not only happen on my system. It is described in the news groups archives several times.

[3] I still have the "VNI-2015 Authentication Error", which makes it impossible to use Enterprise Manager.

Michael G. Schneider Received on Fri Oct 19 2001 - 06:27:51 CDT