dbverify

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 18:42:09 +1000

Somewhat to my astonishment, I discovered this afternoon that dbverify works perfectly well to detect corruption in control files, not just data files. A few new installations later, and I demonstrated (to my own satisfaction, at least!) that it's had that capability since 8.1.6.

This was news to me, as all the documentation states that it can only be applied to 'cache managed files' -and I can't remember the last time bits of the Control File found their way into the Buffer Cache!

So my question is: does anyone have an Oracle 7 or an Oracle 8.0 database handy with which they are prepared to do a quick dbv check of a Control File and see whether it works? I'd like to find out when exactly this apparently undocumented capability crept into good ol' dbv.

Regards
HJR

--
Resources for OracleT: www.geocities.com/howardjr2000