Re: Cannot open DB (because corrupt Rman datafile)

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:04:31 +1000

So long as you have used RMAN to take auto-backups of the Control File, then you can use RMAN to perform complete recovery despite not having a catalog.

It's covered in the documentation (try
http://download-west.oracle.com/otndoc/oracle9i/901_doc/server.901/a90135/rm anreco.htm#1007319 and search on the page for the phrase "Performing Recovery with a Backup Control File and No Recovery Catalog".

The trick is to set your own DB ID with the SET DBID command before attempting to connect to the target, then use the RESTORE CONTROLFILE FROM AUTOBACKUP command to get the controlfile back -and from there, you can do the rest of the deed fairly easily. If the Control File you've restored doesn't have a record of your latest backups, its easy enough to use the 'catalog' command to add them in before attempting a complete recovery.

(The documentation reference I supplied has them doing an incomplete recovery only because the particular scenario they are addressing resulted in the loss of the current redo log -which actually isn't a bad scenario, because if the situation you worry about -of total disk failure on the main machine- ever happen, you would indeed have lost the current redo log).

Regards
HJR

--
Resources for OracleT: www.geocities.com/howardjr2000

"John Darrah" <john.darrah_at_spambadusa.net> wrote in message

> Howard,
>
> I thought the primary reason for keeping the catalog on a seperate
> database was to protect your backup data repository in the event of a
> total disk failure on the primary machine. At the company where I work,
> we currently keep the repository in our control file only because we don't
> want to spend the money on another oracle liscense. I am not wild about
> this solution because it does not address the scenerio I mentioned above
> where the datafiles and all controlfiles are lost. If Oracle no longer
> recomends having a seperate database for the backup repository, how do
> they address the scenerio where the entire machine including all
> controlfiles is wiped out?
>
> John
>
> Howard J. Rogers wrote:
>
> > Oracle is a rich person's toy, for sure. But the good news, Charles, is
> > that in 9i the use of a catalog is no longer required, nor even
recommended.
> > So the licensing worries disappear completely.
>
> > The reason is simply that the only real justification for a catalog was
that
> > the RMAN scripting language made Java look like a walk in the park, so
> > having once managed to pull of a script that actually worked, *storing*
it
> > was important -and you can only store scripts in a catalog.
>
> > In 9i, the command to take a complete backup is: backup database; -and
even
> > I can manage that! No nasty syntax, no need to store scripts, no need
for
> > the catalog.
>
> > So now you can have your Christmas bonus and your compressed
parallelized
> > backups, too.
>
> > Regards
> > HJR
> > --
> > Resources for OracleT: www.geocities.com/howardjr2000
>

> > "Charles J. Fisher" <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org> wrote in message

> > than
> > on a
> > >
> > > This is the thing that I don't understand about RMAN - I assume that
you
> > > have to buy another Oracle license to run it in the optimal manner.
I'd
> > > rather do standard hot backups and pocket the difference as my
Christmas
> > > bonus.

> > -----
> > > / Charles J. Fisher | "Those who do not
understand
> > UNIX /
> > > / cfisher_at_rhadmin.org | are condemned to reinvent
it,
> > /
> > > / http://rhadmin.org:81 | poorly." -- Henry
Spencer