Re: Importing on Linux is SO SLOW.

From: Charles J. Fisher <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:46:44 GMT

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Ron Reidy wrote:

> Having autoextend on will slow things down a lot (depending on how often
> the files extend).

I made the datafiles the same size on the new system. The smaller import had crashed saying that there wasn't enough room in SYSTEM, so I turned it on for everything temporarily.

> How big is your SGA? Is it at least the same (data buffers) as the
> 8.0.5 instance?

I actually just used the example HUGE size in init.ora; I will make DB_BLOCK_BUFFERS and the shared pool the same as the 8.0.5.

> How often are you committing? How many records are buffering?

  1. Will I get better performance with COMMIT=Y?
  2. What is a good size to use for the BUFFER parameter on Linux?

Thanks for your assistance; I don't do this very often, especially with this volume of data.

   / Charles J. Fisher              | "A fanatic is one who can't change his /
  /  cfisher_at_rhadmin.org            |  mind and won't change the subject."  /
 /   http://rhadmin.org:81          |                 -- Winston Churchill /