Re: Cannot open DB (because corrupt Rman datafile)

From: Charles J. Fisher <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:19:08 GMT

On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> On another point, is this database actually useful for anything other than
> RMAN? I mean is it your real, live, production database? If so, why on
> Earth is the RMAN tablespace *within* the database it's supposed to be
> backing up? The RMAN catalog is supposed to be in a separate database on a
> separate machine. Otherwise, it would be a case of too many eggs in one
> vulnerable basket.

This is the thing that I don't understand about RMAN - I assume that you have to buy another Oracle license to run it in the optimal manner. I'd rather do standard hot backups and pocket the difference as my Christmas bonus.

   / Charles J. Fisher                   | "Those who do not understand UNIX /
  /  cfisher_at_rhadmin.org                 |  are condemned to reinvent it,   /
 /   http://rhadmin.org:81               |  poorly."   -- Henry Spencer    /