Re: Best size for datafiles

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 12:20:52 +0100

"Dusan Bolek" <pagesflames_at_usa.net> wrote in message news:1e8276d6.0110180233.2a020d7a_at_posting.google.com...
> Maybe I've made one puzzling statement. When I've said about 5GB files
> I meant up to 5 GB files. I've made remark about careful layout
> planning, all depends on how data are stored in database. My idea is
> not to divide 0.5TB with 5GB and then use 100 of 5GB files, that's
> just all about averages or maybe high boundaries. These big files
> should be used only for big objects, usually in data warehouse are
> only few extremely big tables. These giant tables should be
> partitioned through number of huge files. However in all warehouses
> are also big number of smaller tables with business logic etc., these
> tables should be treated as common tables in typical Oracle
> environment. There is no need to have these in 5GB data files.

I ought to preface this by saying we do not run terabyte sized datawarehouses (yet). I however tend to keep my datafiles all the same size (2gb as it happens). My only real reason for doing this is that then if you do decide to move files around you know that you will have room for them. I also tend to agree with Howard about the backup requirements, but I guess if you have terabytes of storage you are likely to have pretty whizzy backup solutions as well.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA