Re: tablespace corrupted

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 16:25:58 +1000

Well I hope you set archivelog well before this, and that you have been taking uncorrupted backups ever since!

The procedure is simply to offline the tablespace involved, restore the latest clean copy of all the data files associated with that tablespace, and then issue the command 'recover tablespace blah'. That should then prompt for the application of all necessary redo from the archived redo logs you've been keeping since that backup was taken. When it's finished, you'll get a message that 'media recovery is complete'. After which you online the tablespace, and all should be well.

You can use the dbverify utility (the executable is called "dbv") to check that the files you are proposing to restore are not themselves corrupt. If they are, you'll have to go to ever older backups until you find one that isn't -and you'll need ALL the redo since that backup was taken to make the recovery work.

Also: before you start monkeying around with recovery techniques, it is always advisable to take a complete backup of that which you are about to monkey with. That way, if anything awful happens during recovery, you've got something meaningful to go to Oracle Support with.

Don't take this the wrong way, but this is basic backup and recovery theory -so it sounds a little as though you need to read up on the topic. Try the 'books' link at my site. There's a backup and recovery document there which I'm told has proved useful to others.

Regards
HJR

--
Resources for OracleT: www.geocities.com/howardjr2000