wanted: Oracle8i MTS experiences/successes/war stories

From: Spencer <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 02:56:51 GMT

Everyone,

Thanks in advance for any information or insight you can provide.

The company I work for is currently assessing the viability of the multithreaded server (MTS) feature of Oracle8i. (Specifically, Oracle Enterprise Server 8.1.7.2.0 for Sun sparc Solaris 5.7)

A large part of the assessment will rely on the results of testing several MTS configurations in a test environment. (a dedicated server configuration will be used as a baseline). An automated testing tool will be used to emulate hundreds of concurrent user connections.

I'd also like to include in the assessment feedback from other Oracle professionals that have evaluated the MTS feature, or are using MTS in a production environment.

I'm interested in any successes, problems, potential pitfalls, or war stories that you can provide, as well as any information you have as to the measurement techniques you've used to gather metrics (memory allocation, cpu utilization, elapsed connection times, elapsed transaction times, etc.)

I do understand (from reviewing the forums and bug reports on metalink) that some customers have experienced significant problems with database performance (including availability) utilizing the MTS feature in earlier releases.

Any additional information you could provide would be appreciated. If you prefer not to post your reply to the newsgroup, I welcome direct replies by email. Thanks again for your time. Received on Wed Oct 17 2001 - 21:56:51 CDT