Re: Tools to read core Oracle controlfiles, redo log files and data files?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:59:22 +0200

"Tommy Svensson" <tkman23_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ebf7c6db.0110170846.4a28a3fd_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi!
>
> I have stupid questions...
>
> I like to know how I can read a Oracle controlfile, redo file or/and
> data file without having the Oracle database up and running. Does it
> exists any tool from Oracle or third party that can dig out
> information from oracle files (datafiles,controlfiles,redo log files)?
>
> I am only interesting in tools, script or process to dig out the SCN
> and sequence number from datafile, controlfile and redo log files?
>
> Ok, I understand that Oracle probably don't give out the spec for the
> data file etc, at least not for free. But haven't Oracle any tool
> where you for a give file can get out debug information about that
> file like SCN, sequence number etc?
>
> I have been search on the net almost the whole day but haven't found
> anything yet... ;-(
>
> Ok, you may wonder why I like to know this, but I am just curious.
>

> The Oracle version I use is 7.3.4 running on Sparc Solaris.
>
> Kind regards
>
> //TOmmy

You're out of luck
Not only 7.3.4 is desupported, but a tool to read redolog files, call logminer, exists for 8.0 and higher only. For 7.3.4 there existed a 3rd party tool, but I don't recall the name.

Not sure what you're up to also. Reverse engineering is of course prohibited

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed Oct 17 2001 - 15:59:22 CDT