Re: Oracle 8.1.7EE on WinNT SP6 Service start errors

From: Ron Reidy <rereidy_at_indra.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:45:44 -0600

Martyn wrote:

> Hi,
> Upgraded an Oracle database from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7 Enterprise Edition on
> Windows NT SP6 successfully. However due to problems with the Backup
> Exec software, NT Support decided to rebuild the server from scratch.
> After the rebuild they restored the database files and I reinstalled
> Oracle 8.1.7. The install went OK until the very end when it couldn't
> start the Agent and Datagatherer services.
>
> When I try to start the Agent Service I get the message:
> Error 0007: The storage control blocks were destroyed
>
> The Datagatherer Service fails with:
> Error 2140: An internal Windows NT error occurred
>
> The HTTPServer fails with:
> The dynamic link library Perl.dll could not be found in the specified
> path
> followed by:
> Error 2186: The service is not responding to the control function
>
> I think that there's something amiss with the server, NT Support think
> that the problem is with Oracle.
> Is Oracle 8.1.7EE on NT SP6 a valid combination?
>
> Thnaks,
> Martyn

Both of you are correct. It looks like some parts of the Oracle install were restored in a different place than the new install.

Check the registry entries for HTTP, Data gatherer, etc. find out where the Perl.dll file is located; look at any log files that are created when these services start up - they will tell you exactly what the problem was. Look on Metelink for answers to these errors.

--
Ron Reidy
Oracle DBA