Re: Help: What is the best data storage?

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 17 Oct 2001 13:54:18 +0100 (BST)

a <dbadba62_at_hotmail.com> wrote:
>Thanks for those replies.
>What I need is something which can be accessed directly through Solaris, and
>Oracle, which means when we need the data, just put it in, the data is
>there, we do
>not need to unzip it or copied back to server, in other words, the driver
>has to be
>mounted to the server (like CD-ROM)directly, and it is better to have 30G to
>40 G.
>
>Any suggestions?

Two options occur to me:

Slow HDD - IDE is *very* cheap per GB, there's dozens of companies selling NAS IDE RAID devices. Or buy a PC, stick NT or Linux on it and fill it with big IDE disks. As it's read-only, NFS will be OK, but slow. You'll obviously need a tape backup of this too.

Alternatively, there are CD or DVD libraries that will present the data on all the CDs/DVDs as a single filesystem. Many also take CD-R or DVD-R/RAM/RW+. If you've got more budget then WORM/MO might be an option. I'd still take a tape backup, especially using an uncartridged medium, like CD.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/