Re: Abnormal long export/import - network problem?

From: Marc Blum <marc_at_marcblum.de>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 08:08:14 GMT

On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 16:31:58 -0600, Ron Reidy <rereidy_at_indra.com> wrote:

>Marc Blum wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> consider following situation:
>>
>> Server A:
>> one year old IBM Netfinity with double Pentium III, 800MHz and 1 GB
>> RAM
>> SuSE Linux 7.0
>> Oracle EE 8.1.6
>>
>> Server B:
>> three years old selfbuild PC with one 450 MHz Pentium and 512MB RAM
>> NT 4, SP5
>> Oracle EE 8.1.7
>>
>> Network:
>> 100 Mbit Ethernet, TCP/IP
>>
>> Client:
>> ordinary PC
>> NT 4, SP5
>> Oracle Clients from 8.0.6 to 8.1.7
>>
>> On server A and B several developement databases running, all as
>> identical as possible.When I perform an export against a say 20MB
>> table, server B takes several seconds, server A takes several minutes.
>> When I spool the contents of the table via SQL+/termout off, both take
>> only seconds.
>>
>> When monitoring sessionwaits, server A shows exorbitant counts for
>> "SQL*Net/ message from client", which is typical for "client does
>> nothing".
>>
>> Where may I look for problems? Any hints? Is it a network problem?
>> regards
>> Marc Blum
>> mailto:marc_at_marcblum.de
>> http://www.marcblum.de
>Are you using SQL*Net to perform the export? You didn't say. Are you
>performing this export over a network drive? Are you also using SQL*Net
>when performing the select? Again, no info.

sorry, I thought it was clear, because I mentioned network and client PC.

Export/import and spooling via SQL+ are all performed via network. What I don't understand, is that only when performing export/import, there's a significant difference between the servers. When spooling via SQL+, everythings fine.

regards
Marc Blum
mailto:marc_at_marcblum.de
http://www.marcblum.de Received on Wed Oct 17 2001 - 03:08:14 CDT