Selecting sections of data from a LONG datatype column

From: Munzil Qureshi <munzil_at_computan.on.ca>
Date: 16 Oct 2001 08:00:36 -0700

Good afternoon, I have a client whose table has a LONG datatype column. I must figure out a way to retrieve specific data from the column(it is LONG not VARCHAR2) using the instr/substr or similar functions. The problem is, LONG datatypes do not support the instr/substr functions. Is there another way I can retrieve sections of data from the LONG column?

I am trying to use a similar statement to this one: SELECT substr(column_name, 4, 6) from table_name where upper(table_name) like upper('%table_name');

the column_name is the long column that I am trying to get substr data from. If long datatypes do not support instr/substr functions, then does anyone know how I can get the data out of the long column?

Thank-you kindly for your help

Munzil Received on Tue Oct 16 2001 - 10:00:36 CDT