Re: could not connect - HELP

From: Dino Hsu <dino1.nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 22:33:46 +0800

Dear Andreas,

<quote begin>

ORA-12505 TNS:Listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor
<quote end>

Please post the error message in addition to error number next time, it saves others the efforts of searching the doc. You didn't mention what the error number of the second problem is, either, so I can only deal with the first one here.

Firstly look at server side listener.ora (under c:\orant\net80\admin) and then the SID_LIST_LISTNER part for the section with the SID you are configuring:

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =

      (ORACLE_HOME = C:\orant)
      (SID_NAME = <SID>)

    )
  )

If you edit this file, remember to stop and start the listener service to make the change effective.

Secondly look at client side tnsnames.ora (under c:\orawin95\net80\admin, the file that easy configuration edits) and then the section you are configuring:

<connect_string>.WORLD =

  (DESCRIPTION =

      (ADDRESS_LIST =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL=TCP)(Host=<host_name>)(Port=1521))
       )
       (CONNECT_DATA=(SID=<SID>))

   )

Make sure the <SID> in listener.ora matches that in tnsnames.ora, test with, say, SQL*Plus again (any change is immediately effective once saved).

HTH,
Dino