Re: What is the best data storage?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 15 Oct 2001 23:38:33 -0700

"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_home.com> wrote in message news:<9mMy7.25162$JN.96971_at_news1.sttls1.wa.home.com>...
> How about a DVD? A double sided one holds like 9 gig I think. That would
> make it down to something like 4 DVD's a little more manageable.
> Jim
> "a" <dbadba62_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > We need to age our data to a storage using transportable tablespace as our
> > table getting bigger and bigger. Each day we have about 3 m rows, each
> row
> > about 30 bytes, if we use CD-rewritable, which is 700M, we need 40 CDs to
> > hold one year's data,which will make it very difficult to handle.
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Maybe I do not fully understand how they manage data in their database. However if 3m rows, each of them has 30 bytes, that's 85 megabytes each day.
They can use weekly partitions, that makes 430 megs per week which perfectly fits on one CD.
Another way is to use compression tools like gzip, which can Oracle data_files shrink below 1/10 of its actual size. So maybe they do not need bigger medium than CD-R. However when I have to transport large amount of data, I've usually used HDD for it. Now we can get 80 GB HDD for extremely low prices, that's ten times bigger than ten times more expensive DVD-R. So If they do not need to keep old copies as archive, the best solution is to buy one HDD with two mobile racks.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.