Re: ORA-28009

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 07:21:30 +1000

This isn't an error on Oracle's part.

You were never supposed to get into the habit of logging in as SYS as an ordinary, but powerful, User in *any* version of Oracle. All they've done in 9i is make it official.

Therefore, the only valid way to connect as SYS now is to log in as the Privileged User version of SYS. That simply means that the connect string must be either 'connect sys/change_on_install as sysdba' if you are using a password file, or 'connect / as sysdba' if you're using O/S authentication (which requires you to have amended the memberships of the dba group in the etc/groups file).

System never was a Privileged User, so there's no problem just logging in as system/manager as in days of yore.

It's actually a nice new feature, because SYS always was there really only to perform the 5 privileged actions (startup, shutdown, backup, recover and create database), but it was all too easy to log in as 'normal' SYS (who can't perform those 5 actions), and start doing routine maintenance -which is fine, except that (for example) any segments you create as SYS tend to end up being created in the SYSTEM tablespace, and are unexportable.

There's a set of notes on all the new features of 9i on my website (under 'books'). Feel free to peruse.

Regards
HJR

--
Resources for OracleT: www.geocities.com/howardjr2000