Re: catexp7.sql

From: Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com>
Date: 15 Oct 2001 16:15:02 -0400

In <3BCB177F.BC85091F_at_indra.com> Ron Reidy <ron_at_indra.com> writes:

>Stan Brown wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to use the tools that came wiht a 9i Linux install to back up a
>> 7.3.4.5 DB. Do I need to run catexp7.sql on the new (91) instance to allow
>> this to happen? The comments in it say the iverse, that say that i't
>> needed to allow the V7 tools to back up the v9 DB.
>>
>> However, I am getting errors whne I try to back up the V7 db:
>>
>> Script started on Mon Oct 15 08:41:18 2001
>> oracle_at_debian:/dumpdisk/tmp$ exp
>>
>> Export: Release 9.0.1.0.0 - Production on Mon Oct 15 08:41:22 2001
>>
>> (c) Copyright 2001 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
>>
>> Username: sys
>> Password:
>>
>> EXP-00008: ORACLE error 942 encountered
>> ORA-00942: table or view does not exist
>> EXP-00024: Export views not installed, please notify your DBA
>> EXP-00000: Export terminated unsuccessfully
>> oracle_at_debian:/dumpdisk/tmp$
>> Script done on Mon Oct 15 08:41:40 2001
>>
>> --
>> "They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety deserve
>> neither liberty nor safety."
>> -- Benjamin Franklin
>See note 132904..1 on metalink.

I looked this up. there were 2 notes that came up whne i searched on this. 1 was about a Windows Dr. Watson, the other just generaly said that you should use the older exp executable when going from an older version to a newr one.

Neither of these really apply.

Heres the Scenario. Production DB V7.3.4.5 on HP-UX. Export runs once a day (yes we do hot backuops alos). While it's runing it usese about 30% of the CPU. We need to offload this CPU usage. We have a nice new Linux machine with _lot's_ of disk space. I have installed 9i on this machine for this purpos. I supose I could install V8, if that would help. But V7 is not avaialble of Linux.

Help!

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin