OS groups for Oracle on Linux?

From: Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com>
Date: 15 Oct 2001 15:35:57 -0400

This weekend I installed 9i on a Linux box. I thought i had everythign working OK, untill this morning.

First I had been suing the "system" user to admin things this weekend. Then today I tried to connect as "sys". I got an ORA-28009. Now I'm wondering if I havemade a big mistake.

Acording to my reading of the documnetation the "oracle" user should be primary group "ORAINVENTORY" (in my case oinstall). He should also be a member of the "ISDBA" group (in my case DBA). that is how I set it yup, and I then ran the oracle installer as this "oracle" user. However in the past I remeber the Oracle user needing to be (primary Ithink) group DBA.

So, am I screwd? Install only took about 36 hours, so I'm not anxious to do it again :-)

Or is thie a "point of fear" thing?

Can I fix this?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin