tnsnames.ora entry doesn't work on new install

From: Stan Brown <stanb_at_panix.com>
Date: 15 Oct 2001 10:23:31 -0400

I've installed 91 on Linux, and I'm trying to access a 7.3.4.5 remote instance. I tried this entry in tnsnames.ora:

pwhse =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS =

(COMMUNITY = TCP_COMMUNITY.world)
(PROTOCOL = TCP)
(Host = phse6)
(Port = 1521)
)

    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
       (SID = pwhse)
       (GLOBAL_NAME = phwse)

    )
  )

This is copied straihgt out of a working tnsnames.ora file on one of the V7 systems, but it doesn't work> I get ORA12154 TNS: Could not resolve service aname.

Sugestiosn?

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin