Re: Help:AIX/Oracle 8.1.5 "database cannot be mounted"

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 06:22:22 +1000

It's much more likely to be the case that another Instance is running under a different name (ie, a different ORACLE_SID), and that Instance has been directed to use a certain set of control files by an inappropriate init.ora.

If control files were missing, or couldn't be found, you would get an 'unable to identify control file' error message.

The error message, however, is 'unable to mount in exclusive mode', and that simply means another Instance has already mounted that particular control file.

The cure is to find out what other Instances are running, and to select from v$controlfile from each of them to see which one already has a handle on the controlfiles which are now attempting to be used. Then the fix will be to make sure that ORACLE_SID is set correctly for all known Instances.

Regards
HJR

--
Resources for OracleT: www.geocities.com/howardjr2000