Re: Change db_block_size

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 06:13:59 +1000

"Nuno Souto" <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam> wrote in message news:3bc9a119.2229393_at_news...
> In a valiant and sublime effort,Howard J. Rogers
> dipped a thumbnail in soot and doodled:
>
> >But that's what the Recycle Pool is for, in the first place. Tucking
BLOB
> >data out of the way so that it doesn't interfere with the rest of your
cache

> Yeah, the problem is that there is only one recycle pool. If I have
> various types of application running in a single instance, I want
> finer control than just a single "bit bucket". It's only too easy to
> overwhelm the current three, jointly or "severally" (how's that for
> borrowing a banking term?). :-)
>

> >Put it another way: whatever is the block size that makes for optimal
> >retrieval of LOB data will also be the block size that makes for optimal
> >retrieval of any other form of data.
>
> Hmmm, disagree. In general, BLOB stuff will be retrieved/processed
> one by one.

We'll agree to disagree, then. Where you have a file system buffer to keep happy, anything other than that as a block size will induce additional I/O, even on single reads.

>Which is completely different from the requirements of,
> say, a data mart. Where full scans combined with short indexed
> retrieves may be required. Each requires a different strategy for
> best block size.

Er... it's still a question of efficient I/O, and that still comes down to file system buffer size, or larger where possible because of a lack of such a buffer (ie, raw).

If you have a series of 16K blobs, read individually, it is surely going to be better to have 16K blocks and do one i/o reads per blob than 8k blocks and two.

Whatever, huh?
HJR