Oracle equivalent to SQL Server's xp_cmdshell?

From: John Peterson <johnp_at_azstarnet.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 22:22:34 -0700

(Oracle 8.1.7.2.1 on Windows 2000)

Hello, all!

I'm eager to learn if Oracle has an equivalent to SQL Server's xp_cmdshell extended stored procedure. The xp_cmdshell function essentially shells out to the OS and executes the provided string. One of the nice features of xp_cmdshell is that it will return the output as rows of text and can thus be handled as a result set you can cursor through.

I'm having a tough time figuring out how to execute an OS command from Oracle, in general. Would DBMS_PIPE be something that can be leveraged? Is there something like xp_cmdshell?

Thanks for your help! :-)

John Peterson Received on Sun Oct 14 2001 - 00:22:34 CDT