Re: 9ias On Unix or NT ?

From: Ban Spam <ban-spam_at_operamail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2001 02:04:22 GMT

"Mark Bailey" <mb.1_at_virgin.net> wrote in news:t_%x7.15603$fo2.1737190_at_news6-win.server.ntlworld.com:

> We are going to use 9ias for our middle tier application server and
> will be using it to run Forms and Reports. Our applications will have a
> maximum of 100 connected users.
>
> Can anyone advise on the advantages / disadvantages of running on Unix
> / NT., or point us in the direction where this information is available
> ? Additionally, if there is one, what is the industry preferred
> operating system to run 9ias ?
>
> Many Thanks.
>
> Mark

I've been struggling for a couple of weeks with 9iAS on Solaris. Many of the Oracle tools have case sensitivity problems WRT file names. Sometimes one Tool wants the file to be like "Base.pll", while a different tool wants the same file to be named "BASE.pll", etc. Needless to say, on Windoze, such "differences" don't exist.

Even though I am a died in the wool Solaris supporter who does NOT "do Windows". I'm beginning to wonder if it would be just easier to setup a W2K, load 9iAS & be done with all this nonsense.

I get the distinct impression that all the Oracle "development tools" were written on/under NT & then ported to *nix. Base upon the almost 100% TOTAL lack of NOTES on MetaStink for 9iAS on *nix, I suspect we are effectively pioneers. (A pioneer is somebody who is so far out in front of most other folks, they tend to still catch arrows in their backs.)

If anybody is successfully running FORMS60 Server & REPORTS60 Server on *nix, I'd like to hear from you.

HTH & YMMV! Received on Sat Oct 13 2001 - 21:04:22 CDT