How to improve Log Switch performance

From: Reza <reza_at_digital-dispatch.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:03:29 +0100

Hi
I have a 8.0.5.2.2 server on HP-UX 10.20 running a massively busy OLTP instance.
I have adjusted the checkpoint intervals to happen only during log switches (every 20 minutes in Average load).
Database has 69 datafile, 3 control files, and 4 DB_WRITER processes running.
Every time a Log switch happens it exactly takes 3 minutes and users suffer from hangings for some of this period. The redo log files are on two independent physical volumes separate from data files. The wait events shoot up drastically during Log switch. I do not exactly know what could improve this situation. Would adding more DB Writers help, even though we have only 2 CPUs on the server.
I know this is not that straight forward and might need much more detail information to analyze the situation, however any indication toward right direction that I can take, or other factors that I have to look into, would be a great help.
Many thanks for any help, much appreciated. Regards
Reza Received on Fri Oct 12 2001 - 05:03:29 CDT