Re: ora-03113 error during update batch

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 22:18:48 +0200

On Thu, 11 Oct 2001 14:05:12 -0500, Mike Edwards <medwards_at_regenstrief.org> wrote:

>We encountered the following error in the batch log file during a load
>of data into our database.
>This error was encountered during the execution of single row SELECT
>statement
>from different tables as well as during the update of a large table.
>This indicates that is is not
>related to any particular SQL command or table. It occurred after
>approximately 7
>hours of run time on one occassion, after approximately 12 hours on
>another.
>
> Error 1FFF0001 in routine load_ENCOUNTER,
> ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel
> SQL : insert into ENCOUNTER
>(encounter_id,visit_number_hl7_producer_id,v
>

>This is the substance of the trace file generated after the error was
>encountered:
>
> ORA_ROOT:[DB_REGEN.TRACE]ORASRV_BEQ_27E26C9C.TRC;1
>
> This trace file was generated by ORASRV_BEQ_REGEN.COM
> exit with STATUS = %X1000000C
> %SYSTEM-F-ACCVIO, access violation, reason mask=!XB, virtual
>address=!XH, PC=!XH, PS=!XL
>
>This is all we know of the error based on searching Oracle tech support
>sites:
>
>ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel
>
>Cause: An unexpected end-of-file was processed on the communication
>channel. The problem could not be handled by the Net8, two task,
>software. This message could occur if the shadow two-task process
>associated with a Net8 connect has terminated abnormally, or if there is
>a physical failure of the interprocess communication vehicle, that is,
>the network or server machine went down. In addition, this message could
>occur when ALTER SYSTEM KILL SESSION or ALTER SYSTEM DISCONNECT SESSION
>were issued with the IMMEDIATE qualifier because, in those cases, the
>client's connection to the database is terminated without waiting for
>the client to issue a request.
>
>Action: If this message occurs during a connection attempt, check the
>setup files for the appropriate Net8 driver and confirm Net8 software is
>correctly installed on the server. If the message occurs after a
>connection is well established, and the error is not due to a physical
>failure, check if a trace file was generated on the server at failure
>time. Existence of a trace file may suggest an Oracle internal error
>that requires the assistance of customer support.
>

>We are not currently on any Oracle support contract. I would appreciate
>it if someone could identify
>how this error is occurring and recommend a course of action.
>
>We are running Oracle 8.1.7 on an OpenVMS 7.2-1 clustered platform.

From the associated trace file it looks like the session ran out of virtual memory.
Without any further pointers it can be almost *anything* If you would be capable of searching on Metalink, you will get *1000s* of answers for ora-3113.

Whatever negative you can say about Oracle support, I'm sure not getting a support contract is to be considered penny wise and pound foolish.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Oct 11 2001 - 15:18:48 CDT