Redo Log maintenance

From: Wade Chy <wchy65_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Oct 2001 14:13:05 -0700

Hi All
I am helping somebody maintain the redo log. The database has 2 redo log files 1 mb each. They are filling up quick. I have to create 2 more. If I just create 2 more log files, will it work or I have to create the rollback tablespaces and segments for it? The reason I am confused about it is because I tried to create a database with GUI Oracle Database Configuration Assistant. I saved the scripts for creating the database later. It saved 1 batch file and 4 sql scripts. The first script creates the database with 2 log files sized 1024 k with the following statements:

CREATE DATABASE app
LOGFILE 'E:\test_data\app\redo\redo01.log' SIZE 1024K,

    'E:\test_data\app\redo\redo02.log' SIZE 1024K MAXLOGFILES 32
MAXLOGMEMBERS 2
MAXLOGHISTORY 1
DATAFILE 'E:\test_data\app\system01.dbf' SIZE 10M REUSE MAXDATAFILES 254
MAXINSTANCES 1
CHARACTER SET WE8ISO8859P1
NATIONAL CHARACTER SET WE8ISO8859P1; And the the 2nd script that creates the tablespaces has the following statements:

REM ********** TABLESPACE FOR ROLLBACK ********** CREATE TABLESPACE RBS DATAFILE 'E:\test_data\app\rbs01.dbf' SIZE 12M REUSE
DEFAULT STORAGE ( INITIAL 1024K NEXT 1024K MINEXTENTS 2 MAXEXTENTS 121 PCTINCREASE 0);
ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE 'E:\test_data\app\rbs01.dbf' AUTOEXTEND ON;

CREATE PUBLIC ROLLBACK SEGMENT RB0 TABLESPACE RBS STORAGE (INITIAL 100K NEXT 250K);
CREATE PUBLIC ROLLBACK SEGMENT RB1 TABLESPACE RBS STORAGE (INITIAL 100K NEXT 250K);
ALTER ROLLBACK SEGMENT "RB0" ONLINE;
ALTER ROLLBACK SEGMENT "RB1" ONLINE; It creates a rollback tablespace and 2 rollback segments. What is the relation or difference between the log files and the rollback tablespce? Which one does the transactions use, the 'rbs01.dbf' or the
'E:\test_data\app\redo\redo01.log' SIZE 1024K,
'E:\test_data\app\redo\redo02.log' SIZE 1024K?
Also is there any data dictionary view I can look at to find out if the redo log is filling out quickly and there are a lot of log switches. I am trying to find out if the smaller logfiles and low number of logfile is creating a performance problem. Please help.
Thank you in advance. Received on Wed Oct 10 2001 - 16:13:05 CDT