Re: Character set questions

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 19:13:42 +0200

"Oscar Arranz" <oscar.arranz_at_consors.es> wrote in message news:9q1r2r$5qs4320_at_news1s.iddeo2.es...
> Hi everybody.
>
> I'm a newbie in Oracle administration, and I have some questions
> regarding character sets.
>
> I have two Oracle servers, one is for development environment (oradev)
> and the other is for production (oraprod). My NLS_LANG variable in oradev
is
> AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1 and in oraprod it's
SPANISH_SPAIN.WE8ISO8859P1
> .
>
> When I export data from one to another server I see some different
> issues:
>
> - If I use sql*plus in oraprod with SPANISH configuration I get dates
> like 20/09/01
> - If I change NLS_LANG to AMERICAN in oraprod and I use sql*plus I get
> dates like 20-Sep-01
> - On both cases I get errors from an application running on Weblogic
and
> using a pool. This application needs dates on AMERICAN format, but I don't
> know what's happening. Do I need to set this variable to AMERICAN for user
> in weblogic production machine?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Oscar.

Several env vars derive from NLS_LANG
NLS_DATE_FORMAT is one of them.
You only have to change/set NLS_DATE_FORMAT to the format you want, without changing NLS_LANG, so you override the default NLS_DATE_FORMAT

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed Oct 10 2001 - 12:13:42 CDT