Re: Oracle on Windows platforms

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 10 Oct 2001 05:17:10 -0700

Dino Hsu <dino1.nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net> wrote in message news:<3ek7stot7jn0fk8uefrg43vpd35279bn2e_at_4ax.com>...
> Dear all,
>
> Is there a complete list about the applicability of Oracle on Windows
> platforms, including the up-coming Windows XP?
>
> Oracle Type NT SVR-PE SVR-SE SVR-EE client
> Windows 95 WS N Y N N Y
> Windows 98 WS N Y N N Y
> Windows 98 SE WS N Y N N Y
> Windows ME WS N Y N N Y
> Windows NT WS WS Y Y Y Y Y
> Windows NT SVR SVR Y N Y Y Y
> Windows 2K pro WS Y Y Y Y Y
> Windows 2K SVR SVR Y N Y Y Y
> Windows 2K AS SVR Y N Y Y Y
> Windows 2K DC SVR Y N Y Y Y
> Windows XP home WS Y Y Y Y Y
> Windows XP office WS Y Y Y Y Y
> Windows XP 64 WS Y Y Y Y Y
>
> The above is only my "best guess", there may be mistakes. My guess is
> based on the following understanding or assumptions:
> 1.Windows platforms can be categorized into workstations and servers,
> as well as by whether NT is applied.
> 2.Oracle server SE (standard edition) & EE (enterprise edition): they
> seem to be installable on both Windows servers and NT platforms.
> 3.Oracle server PE (personal edition): they are installable on non-NT
> platforms, but not sure about NT workstations.
> 4.The Windows XP which is to be published on Oct. 25th are all
> workstations (home, office, 64-bit), the server counterpart, Microsoft
> .net servers will be pulbished on June 2002. I don't have information
> about .net servers, please include them, if possible.
> 5.Oracle clients: installable on all Windows platforms.
> 6.Oracle 8, 8i, or 9i: Oracle versions are not distinguished in the
> table, there may be subtle differences accross versions.
>
> Hope someone who knows this can correct my mistakes or make a new
> complete list to replace this tentative one. Thanks in advance.
>
> Dino

Three remarks:
No Oracle product has been certified against WinMe, nor to WinXP. Oracle 8 has been desupported, also windows 95 has been desupported. The lowest release certified against win2k is 8.1.6, so I don't think there are *subtle* differences.
Thirdly, and more important and sorry to say so: Oracle maintains a certification matrix at Metalink, so your work is redundant and very likely out of date soon.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Wed Oct 10 2001 - 07:17:10 CDT