exprience sharing in downloading Oracle 9i for Windows

From: Dino Hsu <dino1.nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 16:33:32 +0800

Dear all,

Because I am PC user/programmer for very long time, I thought downloading and making Oracle CD's are just a piece of case, but they are not.

Because every download file is generally hundreds of mega bytes, and chances are we have to unzip them to the disks, so I allocate a 10G extended partition to hold this data. I do this in Windows ME with ADSL connection to ISP. I have the following points to share:

1.download speed and sessions: The download speed is around 45K-55K per second, about 4 to 5 hours per file. The max number of download sessions is 2, when the 3rd is tried, no response is got. More than 1 session is possible, but the total transfer rate stay at 45K-55K, so more sessions don't help in overall performance. 2.unzip: Unzipping takes long time too. Multiple sessions are possble with no obvious limits. However, I/O contention can be resulted, performance is worse.
3.warning: be sure to wait until all activities are completed, and not to teminate any of them forcefully, the logical structure of the disk volume can be somehow destroyed, if you do. Once this happens, re-boot, scandisk, re-org, etc. can't fix it, the only way is to format the volume and start over again.
4.conclution: the best way to do this is do download one by one and do unzip one by one, rush does you no good.

I wonder whether other people've got the same experience as I, I also wonder whether logical structure error problem is gracefully handled in Windows NT or Windows 2K. I cannot test the latter because the ADSL driver I have doesn't work with them. Anyone share one's experience?

Thanks,
Dino Received on Wed Oct 10 2001 - 03:33:32 CDT