Oracle on Windows platforms

From: Dino Hsu <dino1.nospam_at_ms1.hinet.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:30:41 +0800

Dear all,

Is there a complete list about the applicability of Oracle on Windows platforms, including the up-coming Windows XP?

Oracle             Type  NT  SVR-PE  SVR-SE  SVR-EE  client
Windows 95          WS    N     Y       N       N       Y
Windows 98          WS    N     Y       N       N       Y
Windows 98 SE       WS    N     Y       N       N       Y
Windows ME          WS    N     Y       N       N       Y
Windows NT WS       WS    Y     Y       Y       Y       Y
Windows NT SVR      SVR   Y     N       Y       Y       Y
Windows 2K pro      WS    Y     Y       Y       Y       Y
Windows 2K SVR      SVR   Y     N       Y       Y       Y
Windows 2K AS       SVR   Y     N       Y       Y       Y
Windows 2K DC       SVR   Y     N       Y       Y       Y
Windows XP home     WS    Y     Y       Y       Y       Y
Windows XP office   WS    Y     Y       Y       Y       Y
Windows XP 64       WS    Y     Y       Y       Y       Y

The above is only my "best guess", there may be mistakes. My guess is based on the following understanding or assumptions: 1.Windows platforms can be categorized into workstations and servers, as well as by whether NT is applied.
2.Oracle server SE (standard edition) & EE (enterprise edition): they seem to be installable on both Windows servers and NT platforms. 3.Oracle server PE (personal edition): they are installable on non-NT platforms, but not sure about NT workstations. 4.The Windows XP which is to be published on Oct. 25th are all workstations (home, office, 64-bit), the server counterpart, Microsoft .net servers will be pulbished on June 2002. I don't have information about .net servers, please include them, if possible. 5.Oracle clients: installable on all Windows platforms. 6.Oracle 8, 8i, or 9i: Oracle versions are not distinguished in the table, there may be subtle differences accross versions.

Hope someone who knows this can correct my mistakes or make a new complete list to replace this tentative one. Thanks in advance.

Dino Received on Wed Oct 10 2001 - 00:30:41 CDT