Re: Conecting to Oracle - TNS problems

From: Mike Brodbelt <m.brodbelt_at___NO_SPAM_PLEASE__acu.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 14:05:41 +0100

Uwe Schneider wrote:

> > $ export ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle
> > $ export ORACLE_SID=SCORPIO
> > $ sqlplus
> >
> > SQL*Plus: Release 8.0.5.0.0 - Production on Thu Oct 4 12:41:22 2001
> >
> > (c) Copyright 1998 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.
> >
> > Enter user-name: system
> > ERROR:
> > ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist
> >
> > Enter user-name:
> >

> What about "sqlplus system_at_scorpio" ?

Hmm, that works.

> The Net*8 protocol needs to know: which host, which port, and which
> instance on that machine (ORACLE_SID). Just by setting ORACLE_SID you
> don't provide enough information.

Thanks, - I'd thought that setting ORACLE_SID was enough, if you had a tnsnames.ora that gave the host/port, etc.

I've fixed it now by reinstalling the Oracle client software on the machine in question. That's also enabled me to build the latest version of DBD::Oracle, which was also causing grief.... Must have not been entirely happy with the previous client version I had installed.

Mike. Received on Mon Oct 08 2001 - 08:05:41 CDT