Help with creating db link

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 09:27:33 +0100

Alexander,

QUICK FIX : Edit initSID.ora file and set GLOBAL_NAMES = false, bounce the instance and try again. You can also ALTER SESSION or ALTER SYSTEM as well to do it 'for now' rather than 'for ever'.

SLOW FIX : GLOBAL_NAMES, when set to TRUE makes Oracle check that a database link (on this instance) has the same name as the database to which it connects. If set to FALSE, oracle doesn't make the check.

See the O8 Admin guide for details of setting this up correctly. As all my databases have the same DB_NAME and ORACLE_SID. I can't remember which one you need to use when creating a db link.

HTH. Norman.

Norman Dunbar			EMail:	Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk
Database/Unix administrator	Phone:	0113 289 6265
				Fax:	0113 289 3146
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.	URL:	http://www.Lynx-FS.com