Re: I'm doomed, right?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 22:38:20 +1000

"Yong Huang" <yong321_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:b3cb12d6.0110060619.6382e171_at_posting.google.com...
> I guess what I'm more interested in this comparison is like: dbv could
> give false positive while export shows corruption-type errors in a
> datafile.

DBV doesn't give false positives. At least, I've never heard of it doing so. I guess all applications might throw a glitch or two and it *could* happen. Then again, the world *could* end tomorrow at 7.39pm.

>Again, I suppose the database is already open and
> controlfiles and logfiles are known to be good. I only want to compare
> the integrity check on datafiles.

Export is doing selects (sort of), dbv isn't. The hit on the system is likely to be much lighter with dbv than with export. The 'goodness' of the integrity check each can do is identical.

> BTW, if I remember right you can export the SYS schema if you specify
> owner=sys. full=y won't do that.

Are you being deliberately perverse or does it just come naturally? From the bottom of this post, Jonathan's first line reads "I would go for a full database export...". It therefore follows that the inability to export SYS's schema relates to full exports, since that was the context of this thread.

Whatever: unless you propose to check the integrity of your data files by doing a mix of database and schema-level exports, you can't use export to check large swathes of the SYSTEM data file. With dbv, you can. In one pass.

HJR